Saturday, August 13, 2011

I'm from Houston, and We Have Our Own Football Team, Which Is Not Named "The Cowboys"

One of the first things we've had to adjust to here in Connecticut is just how little people know about Texas.  It'a been interesting to clear up some misconceptions people have about the Lone Star State.  One of my favorites involves humidity.  Now, anyone who has ever been to Houston knows that summer is a steam bath for 4-6 months out of the year.  But so many people are genuinely shocked when I tell them this.  One lady told me last week, "Oh, I bet this humidity is killing you" (It was 84 degrees with 50% humidity that day.)  I don't remember JR Ewing ever having to deal with cactus and dust storms on South Fork, so I don't know where the idea that Texas is so dry comes from.  I mean, I know there's a drought back home, but that's an exception.

Stephen has encountered some of these stereotypes at work.  For instance, guests keep asking him if he's a Cowboys fan.  I had to explain that Dallas and Houston are rivals, much like New York and Boston, so that is like asking someone from The Bronx who their favorite Red Sox player is.   We've also seen people have looks of absolute shock on their faces when I describe the Galleria's ice rink, or mention that Houston has an openly gay mayor. (Hi, Annise!) 


To be completely fair, I know that the shoe would be on the other foot for a New Englander moving to Texas.  Even in the 21st century, with fast cars, airplanes and the Interstate Highway Systems, most people don't move very far from home.  I have had to overcome some assumptions I had about Connecticut, too:

  • Lobsters are freakin' EXPENSIVE up here.  Cheaper than back in Texas, but still more than I expected!
  • I have yet to meet any fishermen.
  • The Chinese buffet in Branford is almost a carbon copy of the ones in Houston, except they don't have Mexican food on them and some offer lobster fried rice.
  • I expected everyone to talk like New Yorkers, but I have noticed four different accents within 15 minutes of our house.
  • This state is barely larger than Harris County, yet has more cultural and geographical diversity than I ever thought possible.  
It just goes to show that, no matter where we are from, we are all God's children, and all Americans.  And the fact that each part of the country is different than another is one of our strengths and ought to be celebrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment