Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tuesday Should Be Called "Weirdsday"

Hi Gang!  Life is going well so far.  We are slowly getting used to the colder weather.  Stephen said I am adapting faster than him.  I guess when you live up North from the ages of 2 to 10, your body develops a memory of how to deal with it. We have some of our winter wardrobe ready; we need to buy some boots and thicker socks, but then we should be all set!

Work is interesting, to say the least. The town I work in is smaller than Branford and has three distinct classes of people: elite old money who are grouches; regular folks; and then the people who only come out on Tuesday.  Every town has them, but for some reason our restaurant gets them in droves on that day of the week.  It's like I work in a Stephen King novel!  We had a guy bring us his old grease from home, saying that the old managers used to dump it for him; then a lady got confused when we asked how she wanted the chicken for her chicken salad (fried or grilled, ma'am?); and to top it all off, one of my waitresses was asked, "When are you graduating from high school?" by an older lady. (The waitress is 31.) 

Stephen has about 2 more weeks of training left before he is done and goes to his new store.  Fortunately, it's in Milford, which is only 20 minutes west of here.  I have discovered that it is easier, and cheaper, for me to take the bus to work instead of the train.  I have to walk over a mile to the train station, and it costs $4.50 to ride; the bus stops at the foot of our hill and only costs $1.25, so it's a no-brainer!  Griffy is doing OK.  He is not taking to the cold and we have to buy him a thicker sweater!  If things go as planned, then in 2-3 weeks he will be going to the vet and getting his yearly shots, microchipping, and having 8 teeth removed.  Then he will feel better and his bad breath will be gone.

It sucks not having any of our stuff up here.  I hate paying storage each month, and I really miss having our family pictures.  But it's like Stephen said: it shows you just how little you really need to survive.  Next week we will have been up here for 6 months.  I'm not going to lie-I miss our family and friends terribly.  It's lonely when you don't know very many people and EVERYTHING is new.  Even in San Antonio, at least some things were in both cities so we had some familiarity.  But that's also the fun part of this adventure.  Trying new things.  Making new friends.  Meeting people like a 60-year-old Serbian who ACTUALLY knows what the hell a kolache is, and then makes you a whole pan of them with Italian plums she grew in her back yard.  And seeing Stephen's face when he sees the leaves changing colors or puts on a new pair of gloves makes me happy, and glad we are on this adventure together. Yes, money could be better-couldn't it always?  But I would rather have to take the bus here in Connecticut, and be free to live my life without fear or having someone's religion shoved down my throat, than to drive a Mercedes back in Texas and be shit on.  Like Emiliano Zapata said: It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment